Question

Menopause

What are the warning signs of perimenopausal rage?

• AMarcy Holmes, MSN, Nursing, answered
    Here is a list of warning signs for perimenopausal rage:

1. Mood swings within minutes: Are you fine one minute, and sad, overwhelmed or crying the next -- does this sound familiar? Your moods are changing like the flip of a light switch with no warning. This moment-to-moment flip-flop of emotions is often a sign of hormonal imbalance.

2. Out-of-proportion anger: Totally overreacting to even little things is part of this anger. These responses are over-the-top in regard to what is usually considered "small stuff." Agitation and irritability surface in response to minor events.

3. A long history of premenstrual syndrome (PMS): If you already have had a tendency to experience premenstrual symptoms, the more extreme hormone fluctuations of perimenopause can exaggerate your symptoms tenfold, and can lead to perimenopausal rage. I almost always find that PMS is worse in women who don't support their systems adequately using healthy nutrition and lifestyle measures.

4. Previous postpartum depression: I am always interested to hear what pregnancy was like for the women I meet in my practice. I have found that women with postpartum depression have brains that are wired to be very sensitive to hormone changes. From my experience, I consider women who report having postpartum depression in the past at greater risk for developing more difficult perimenopausal and menopausal symptoms, including this type of perimenopausal rage.
Why might I be experiencing extreme anger during perimenopause?