It’s always best to get your vitamins and minerals primarily from your diet, but everyone needs a nutritional backup every now and then. In addition to eating tons of fruits and vegetables that represent every color of the rainbow, take Dr. Mike’s Fab 5, the basic vitamin/supplement combo everyone needs:
1. Calcium/magnesium. Take calcium with magnesium. Magnesium has gastrointestinal benefits of particular importance when taking calcium. Without it, patients complain of mucho constipation and bloating! Take 600 mg calcium and 200 mg magnesium once a day.
2. Vitamin D3. Needed for calcium absorption, but also helps your memory, heart, skin, and cancer risk. Take 1000 IU with your DHA.
3. DHA. Aids absorption of other fat-soluble vitamins like D3 and is great for your heart, brain, vision, and skin. Take 900 mg a day, algae-based if possible.
4. Multivitamin. Take half in the morning and half at night as an insurance policy for a less than perfect diet.
5. Probiotic. Helps digestion and fights infection and inflammation. Spore form is best.