Question

Melanoma

What are my chances of surviving melanoma?

• APhilip Friedlander, MD, Internal Medicine, answered on behalf of The Mount Sinai Health System
    What is the current survival rate for melanoma?

For stage IV metastatic melanoma, life expectancy is around 8 to 10 months. In this video, Philip Friedlander, MD, an oncologist at The Mount Sinai Medical Center, discusses survivability rates for melanoma.

• AJeanine B. Downie, MD, Dermatology, answered
    The survival rate for patients whose melanoma is detected early, before the tumor has penetrated the skin, is about 99%. The survival rate falls to 15% for those with advanced disease.
  • APatrick Maguire, MD, Oncology, answered
    Melanoma patients with very high lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) levels had a five-year survival of approximately 20%, while those with normal LDH had a five-year survival of 50%. Other prognostic factors include the presence or absence of ulceration, as well as the mitotic (growth) rate of the tumor cells. The overall survival for patients five years following melanoma diagnosis, relative to the general population, is approximately 90% for stage I, 60% for stage II, 50% for stage III, and 10% for stage IV.
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?