In my 35 years of teaching meditation to thousands of people, I ask people at the first class what they are looking for. Most say stress reduction or feeling less anxious or calming the mind. As the class progresses, though, it becomes clear that many people were looking for more, for things they could not have articulated at the first class, such as
- a feeling of meaning and purpose in life
- awakening their creativity
- the ability to understand and relate to other people
- connecting to a Higher Power, which some people call God, or Spirit
- receiving inner guidance in making decisions
- being able to rise above the ups and downs of life.
All these are possible through meditation. In my classes I use two books by my spiritual teacher Sri Chinmoy: Meditation: Man-Perfection in God-Satisfaction, and 101 Meditation Techniques.