Question

Medicare

How do I know if I’m eligible for Medicare?

• AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered

You are eligible for Medicare if you are a U.S. citizen, 65 or over who had paid into Medicare for at least 10 years through your job or through self-employment “taxes.” If you didn’t pay Medicare taxes but are over 65, you may be able to buy a Medicare plan. If you are not yet 65, you are eligible for Medicare if you have kidney failure that requires dialysis or a transplant, or you have a permanent disability (by Medicare criteria).

For more information on eligibility for Medicare, visit www.medicare.gov or call the Social Security office.

• AUnitedHealthcare answered

Generally, Medicare is available for people age 65 or older, younger people with disabilities and people with End Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or transplant). Medicare has two parts, Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Part B (Medicare Insurance). You are eligible for premium-free Part A if you are age 65 or older and you or your spouse worked and paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years. You can get Part A at age 65 without having to pay premiums if you are receiving retirement benefits from Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board. For more information, visit www.medicare.gov and click the "Find out if you are eligible" tab.

How was Medicare developed?