Question

Medicare

How do I know if I’m eligible for Medicare?

• AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered

You are eligible for Medicare if you are a U.S. citizen, 65 or over who had paid into Medicare for at least 10 years through your job or through self-employment “taxes.” If you didn’t pay Medicare taxes but are over 65, you may be able to buy a Medicare plan. If you are not yet 65, you are eligible for Medicare if you have kidney failure that requires dialysis or a transplant, or you have a permanent disability (by Medicare criteria).

For more information on eligibility for Medicare, visit www.medicare.gov or call the Social Security office.

• AUnitedHealthcare answered
    Medicare is a federal health insurance program for U.S. citizens and legal residents. Legal residents must have been living in the U.S. for at least five years in a row. In addition, you must be age 65 or older, under 65 and qualify on the basis of disability or other special situation, or any age and have End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). 
How was Medicare developed?