Question

Medicare

Am I eligible for Medicare if I’m still working?

• AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered

You are eligible for Medicare if you’re still working. Up to three months before you turn 65, you can enroll in Medicare. If you have enough work credits under Social Security, you can apply for Medicare only. If you don’t have enough work credits under Social Security, you will need to file for Social Security and Medicare. 

And in fact, you are strongly, strongly encouraged to enroll in Medicare even if you have insurance through your job because you may lose some Social Security benefits if you do not apply within three months of your 65th birthday, and because Medicare Part A can still help pay some of the costs not covered by your group health insurance. Medicare Part B may not cover enough services on top of your group plan to justify paying the premium.

To learn more about enrolling in Medicare while you’re still working, visit www.socialsecurity.gov or call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213.

• AUnitedHealthcare answered

If you're still working, you can enroll in Medicare. You should file about three months before you turn 65, and if you have enough work credits under Social Security, apply for Medicare only. If you do not have enough work credits, you will need to file for Social Security and Medicare. If you continue working after you turn 65, you may consider Medicare Part A to help pay some of the costs that are not covered by your group health plan. For more information about filing, contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 or online at www.socialsecurity.gov.

How does Medicare work with my other health insurance coverage?