Ascites is a complication of cirrhosis. Ascites is when fluid builds up in the abdomen. If your have cirrhosis, you can prevent ascites by limiting salt intake or taking water pills.
A Answers (6)
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI) answered
Johns Hopkins Medicine answered
Ascites is an accumulation of fluid within the space between the lining of the abdomen and nearby organs. Ascites causes include:
- a low nutritional state, leading to a low blood level of the liver protein albumin, important in regulating blood volume
- peritoneal carcinomatosis, widespread metastasis of cancerous tumors on the inside surfaces of the abdomen
- an obstruction or blood clot within the portal vein, which carries blood to the liver
The condition typically has been managed with diuretic medications that help the body eliminate excess water and salt, though this does not always work well. More recently, physicians have been implanting a pleurx catheter – a narrow tube that helps drain the excess fluid.
Ascites is the buildup of fluid in the abdomen. Many diseases can cause ascites, including liver disease and some cancers.
Ascites can be uncomfortable. The extra fluid also can cause your belly to swell and make it hard for you to breathe. The condition usually is treated with medicine and diet. But for severe ascites the fluid may have to be removed with a needle.
© Healthwise, Incorporated.
Donna Hill Howes, RN, Administrator, answeredAscites is an abnormal buildup of fluid in the abdomen that may cause swelling. In late-stage cancer, tumor cells may be found in the fluid in the abdomen. Ascites also occurs in patients with liver disease.
This answer is based on source information from National Cancer Institute.
Ascites is an abnormal accumulation of fluid within your abdominal cavity. In the U.S., 80% of ascites is caused by cirrhosis of the liver. The other 20% is caused by cancer, heart failure, TB, and then rarer conditions.
Most of the time we diagnose ascites, we first suspect it from your medical history and our physical exam of your abdomen. We use an ultrasound probe to confirm its presence. Then we perform a paracentesis procedure (sample the fluid using a needle) to determine its underlying cause.
Beth A. Schrope, MD, Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism, answered on behalf of Columbia University Department of SurgeryAscites is a condition in which excessive fluid builds up in the abdominal cavity causing swelling and distention of the belly. The abdominal cavity is created by the space between your organs and the abdominal wall and is surrounded by a lining called the peritoneum. In severe cases of ascites, it is possible to retain gallons of fluid in your abdominal cavity.