Question

Maintaining Healthy Hair

What can I do to keep my hair from being so dry?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    If your hair is dry, choose a shampoo designed for your hair type, and shampoo only as often as needed—perhaps just once or twice a week. Use a conditioner after each shampoo.

You can also help prevent dry hair by avoiding some of the hair care products or services that can dry or damage hair. Limit your exposure to the heat from curling irons, blow dryers, and flat irons. Avoid treatments that can dry out your hair, such as coloring, relaxing, or permanents.

It's also a good idea to protect your hair from the UV rays of the sun by wearing a hat when outdoors, and to avoid swimming in chlorinated water if possible. If you do swim in chlorinated water, use a  deep-conditioning product or a special conditioner for swimmers to help restore lost moisture.
  • There are several things that one can do to address the issue of dry hair, most of which amount to trying to minimize damage to the hair. First, you can keep your hair short. Shorter hair amounts to newer hair that has had less time to become damaged and dried out. Secondly, try not to scrub the hair during cleansing. Scrubbing stresses the outer protective layer of the hair shaft, damaging it. Cleanse your hair less frequently than you are currently accustomed to doing so. This has the effect of increasing the typical amount of protective oils associated with each hair shaft. You should use a mild shampoo for cleansing and avoid hair treatments and environmental hair hazards such as heavily chlorinated water and excessive ultraviolet radiation. Try using a quality hair conditioner, if you do not already use one. Also, make every effort to brush and comb your hair gently in the direction that your hair shafts grow.

What can I do to improve the health of my hair?