Question

Magnesium

How much magnesium do I need per day?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) of magnesium for young adults is around 400 mg/day for men and 310 mg/day for women. For adults over 30, the RDA is 420 mg/day for men and 320 mg/day for women. However, despite how easy it is to find magnesium, studies have shown that between 68% and 75% of American adults are magnesium deficient.
    This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
    Helpful? 3 people found this helpful.
  • AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered
    Women should get at least 400 milligrams (mg) of magnesium a day, and men should get at least 333 mg a day. Current studies show that the average intake of Americans is less than 300 mg. People who need to be extra careful to get the right amounts of magnesium include those who are pregnant or lactating, those with kidney disease, diabetics, those on low-calorie diets, and those taking digitalis preparations and diuretics. All of these people should consult their physician before beginning any new regimen.
  • ARealAge answered

Government guidelines suggest 420 milligrams (mg) per day for men, 320 mg for women. We recommend that both men and women aim to get 400-500 mg of magnesium per day. It may be tough to get all the magnesium you need from food, so top up your daily intake with a multivitamin that contains at least 100 mg of magnesium.

If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, have kidney disease or diabetes, are on a low-calorie diet, or are taking digitalis preparations or diuretics, talk to your doctor about how much magnesium you should be getting.

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
What foods are good sources of magnesium if I'm on a slow-carb diet?