Here are some things to know and try to help treat a cough:
- Stay away from smoke. Smoke irritates your lungs and airways. If you smoke, stop. If someone in your family smokes, make them go outside to smoke.
- Drink enough liquid. Water can help loosen mucus. Drinking plenty of water makes it easier to cough up and get rid of mucus.
- Sleep with your head raised. Using an extra pillow to raise your head a little may help your cough.
- Suck on cough drops or hard candy. But do not give these to children under 5 years old, because they can choke.
- Try honey. But do not give honey to children under 1 year old.
- Talk with a doctor or pharmacist about what medicines may help your symptoms. You can get some medicines at a pharmacy or grocery store without a prescription. Do not give cough medicine to children under 2 years old.