1. Don't panic.
2. Assess the situation. If you think you are injured do not try to get up. Instead, if you can reach the phone, call 911 or yell for help. If you think you are not injured and can safely get up, follow these simple steps.
3. Roll sideways so you are facedown.
4. Get on your hands and knees and crawl to a nearby strong, stable piece of furniture like a couch or a sturdy chair.
5. Approach the couch or chair from the front and put both hands on the seat.
6. Leave the knee of the weaker leg on the floor and bring your stronger leg forward and put your foot on the floor so the knee is bent about 90 degrees.
7. Push down with your stronger leg and your arms to raise yourself high enough to sit on the seat.
8. Twist around to sit on the seat.
9. When you recover, determine why you fell and what preventive measures you can take to keep from falling again.