Question

Living With Kidney Disease

How can I help preserve my kidneys if I have kidney disease?

• When you have chronic kidney disease, eating the right foods can help preserve your kidneys. A healthier kidney also means less severe anemia.

Here are a few tips:

• Eat healthy foods. Foods that are high in iron, Vitamin B12, and folic acid can be especially helpful. These include red meat, leafy greens, and whole-grain breads.

• Eat the right amount of protein. Protein helps build muscle, repair tissue, and fight infections. Be sure to get protein from both plant sources (like vegetables and grains) and animal sources (like meats, fish, and dairy).

• Eat the right amount of calories. You need to get enough calories to give your body energy, but not so many that you gain weight.

• Maintain a healthy body weight. Some people with chronic kidney disease need to gain weight to stay healthier. If you need to lose weight, ask a dietitian to help you do it safely.

• Talk to a dietitian. The amount of protein, calories, and other nutrients you need may change as the health of your kidney changes. Your doctor can refer you to a dietitian with special training in kidney disease. Your dietitian can recommend foods based on the current condition of your kidney.

Helpful? 3 people found this helpful.
How can kidney problems affect my mood?