Question

Living With Kidney Disease

How can taking baking soda supplements help improve chronic kidney disease?

• APina LoGiudice, LAc, ND, Naturopathic Medicine, answered
    Daily supplementation with common sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) slows the progression rate of renal failure to end-stage renal disease and improves nutritional status among patients with chronic kidney disease. According to a study of 134 patients using 600 mg of oral sodium bicarbonate tablets, the patients taking the baking soda had lowered need for drugs and felt better using this simple and common kitchen ingredient.

It is possible the balancing of patient's blood to become less acidotic (acidic) may be the reason for the benefit.

Although intake of sodium was higher for the sodium bicarbonate patients versus the control group, there was no increased blood pressure. For best safety, patients with kidney disease should speak to their medical doctors or nephrologists before changing their regimen of foods or adding supplements.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How can I help preserve my kidneys if I have kidney disease?