Living with Diabetes
- Q What exercise precautions do I need to take if I have type 1 diabetes?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmacyExercise can lower your blood sugar, both during your activity and for up to 12 hours after it. If you have type 1 diabetes, you'll need to monitor your blood sugar levels so you take the right amount of insulin at the right time. The first step... Full Answer
- Q How can someone with diabetes cut calories to lose weight?
William Lee Dubois, Endocrinology, Diabetes & MetabolismNever eat seconds. That said, now please do not fill that first plate with twice as much food. If you don’t already eat seconds, buy smaller plates. If you go to an antique store and look at the size of dinner plates and breakfast bowls that were... Full Answer
- Q Is dieting or blood sugar control more important with diabetes?
William Lee Dubois, Endocrinology, Diabetes & MetabolismHands down, blood sugar control is more important. High blood sugar is poison. However, one way to control blood sugar is to diet, so it can be one of those chicken-or-egg kind of questions. Here’s why--the most common kind of diabetes, Type-2, is... Full Answer
- Q How do I manage my type 1 diabetes on a daily basis?
Managing type 1 diabetes is a lifelong commitment, but you'll be able to cope more effectively by taking one day at a time. You'll need to take insulin and monitor your blood glucose levels regularly as part of your daily treatment. You'll also need to... Full Answer
- Q What lifestyle changes can control blood pressure in people with diabetes?
- Q How can eating breakfast help people with diabetes lose weight?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmacyEating breakfast can actually help people with diabetes lose weight. Even though it seems like skipping a meal ought to cut down on calories and result in weight loss, that’s not the case. In a study as part of the National Weight Control... Full Answer