Question

Liver Disease

Is it safe to get pregnant if I have nonalcoholic fatty liver disease?

• AJulia Wattacheril, MD, Gastroenterology, answered on behalf of Columbia University Department of Surgery
    It can be safe to become pregnant if you have nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) if you do not have significant scar tissue in your liver. NAFLD is a condition in which excess fat builds up in the liver in people who drink little or no alcohol (indicating that alcohol is not responsible for the disease). Some people have liver swelling and scarring in addition to excess fat in their liver, a condition called nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, or NASH. Pregnancy may be more risky for women who have NASH.

You may need to work closely with your obstetrician/gynecologist as well as your hepatologist (liver specialist) regarding the safety and timing of your pregnancy. Your doctor(s) may want to monitor you especially closely if you do become pregnant to make sure that your liver is functioning properly and that you -- and your baby -- are as healthy as possible.
Which foods are beneficial if I have nonalcoholic fatty liver disease?