There are some symptoms of oral cancer that you can check for:
- sores that bleed easily or do not heal
- a thick or hard spot or lump
- a roughened or crusted area
- numbness, pain or tenderness
- a change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite down
During your dental visit, your dentist can talk to you about your health history and examine these areas for signs of mouth and/or throat cancer. Regular visits to your dentist can improve the chances that any suspicious changes in your oral health will be caught early, at a time when cancer can be treated more easily.