Question

Laser Liposuction

What is laser fat removal?

• AStuart Linder, MD, Plastic/reconstructive Surgery, answered

Laser liposuction also referred to as SmartLipo is useful when combined with traditional tumescent technique. I use the Laser liposuction to emulsify the superficial fat layer and suction the fat out with a separate cannula. First the laser is placed under the skin in fanning motions to reach a maximal joule level and then repositioned to the next area. SmartLipo is most useful for small localized areas including the face, neck and arms. It is less useful for full body sculpting procedures. I prefer the tumescent liposuction technique with 3mm cannulae for sculpting the lateral breast, bra bulge, abdomen, hips, thighs and the infragluteal folds. Small amounts of laser fat may be reabsorbed by the body without suctioning, however most larger sculpted areas require using a liposuction cannula to further remove the aspirate.

• AStephen Handisides, Health Education, answered

Laser fat removal is a new minimally invasive fat removal technique for those who want an alternative to the surgeon's knife.

The procedure causes minimal discomfort, bruising and side effects, and is very safe. Many procedures take just one to two hours to carry out and most importantly the treatment is very effective at removing localised unwanted fatty areas that are resistant to dieting or physical exercise.

If you’ve tried diet and exercise but are unwilling or unable to go under the surgeon’s knife then this is the solution for you. If you want to deal with the problem and are looking for an advanced, safe and truly effective solution laser fat removal can work effectively.

The treatment can be performed on all skin types and body areas where unwanted fat is stored, and you can return to normal activity immediately after treatment.

How does it work?

We use a low level of visible laser light to stimulate the body’s natural processes that empty the fat stored inside fat cells.

The laser light is gently absorbed into the individual fat cells in the treatment area. This temporarily opens up pores in the cell wall through which the fat content of the cell can escape. The amazing thing is that this does not affect neighbouring structures such as skin, blood vessels, and nerves. What this means to you is that there is minimal bruising and trauma.

When released by the laser the contents of the fat cells are metabolized into energy and permanently removed them from the body. What is left are smaller fat cells - and a thinner, healthier you!

Light exercise post treatment can accelerate the breakdown and removal of fat from the area.

When should I call my doctor if I had liposuction?