While some stillbirths can't be prevented, the best way to provide the optimal environment for the fetus/baby is to do the following:
- Seek appropriate prenatal care
- Eat a balanced diet prior to and during pregnancy
- Avoid the use of alcohol and tobacco during pregnancy
- Avoid the exposure to second hand smoke during pregnancy
- Avoid the use of any recreational/street drugs
- Seek regular care during the pregnancy
- As soon as you learn of your pregnancy, inform your primary health care provider as you may be taking some medications or supplements that could harm the development of the fetus/baby.