Question

Knee Pain

My knee hurts when I squat, what can I do to help prevent this?

• It really depends on what may be causing your knee pain. It could be because you're a "knee squatter," where you bend only from the ankle and knee when you squat and not at the ankle, knee, and hip. It could be that when you squat your knees are not tracking over you toes properly and instead are moving inward, or together, which places stress on your knees. It could be that the muscles in your thighs and hips are simply weak which is putting more stress on your knees. A good assessment by a health and fitness professional will be key in determining exactly what is causing the problem. You can then develop a plan to correct the issues causing the pain. As a general recommendation, try the following techniques prior to your workout to help improve lower-extremity flexibility, range of motion, and control. First, foam roll your calves, the outside of your thigh (IT-band), and the inside of your thigh (adductors). Foam rolling is a self-massage technique to used loosen the muscles that attach to the knee and help improve knee range of motion. Hold each tender spot for 30 seconds. Next, statically stretch your calves and the inside of your thigh. These stretches, along with the foam rolling exercises, will help improve the range of motion of your ankles and knee, taking stress off the knee joint. Hold each stretch for 30 seconds. Next, perform a strengthening exercise for the side of your hips (gluteus medius). This muscle is often weak and can lead to poor control of your thigh and knee. A simple exercise to strengthen this muscle is lateral tube walking. Perform 1-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions of this exercise. Lastly, perform a ball squat to improve your overall lower-body control. This exercise will help you learn proper squatting mechanics (bending at the ankle, knee, and hip) and will help take a lot of pressure off of your knee. Perform 1-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions of the ball squat.

• ABurke Lennihan RN CCH, Alternative & Complementary Medicine, answered

Natural remedies can strengthen tendons and ligaments, such as Ruta grav. herbal tincture, a dropperful in water or juice twice a day. To repair joints, you probably need Ruta grav. 30c, the homeopathically energized version of the herb. Dissolve a couple of pellets in your mouth twice a day. It's especially likely to help if your knee tends to "pop" or go out from under you - it doesn't hurt in this situation, it just sort of caves in.

Rhus tox. 30c and Bryonia 30c are the other two remedies most often used for joint pain in general. (Ruta is great for knees, that's why it was the top recommendation for knee pain.) Use Rhus tox. if your joints get stiff and you have to limber them up to get going, like a rusty gate that sticks at first. Use Bryonia if the slightest movement is painful. Bryonia can be used not only for joint pain but also for bruised or cracked ribs, or for migraines when the slightest movement hurts and the person wants to lie absolutely still. Any health food store will have these remedies in a 30c potency (strength). Two pellets twice a day, and if that's not strong enough, dilute them in a little water to make them stronger.

Be sure to get enough vitamin C and protein which repair connective tissue

Another great product for joint pain: Castro's Joint Cream, available online. I don't sell it, but clients and colleagues who use it have reported remarkable relief from it. 

You can see an entertaining and informative video of author and lecturer Miranda Castro explaining how to treat joint pain on the GreenHealingTV channel of YouTube.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What are the causes of knee pain?