Question

Children's Health

What is the normal temperature for a child?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    It's important to know that for children, there's no set "normal" temperature. A child's temperature can vary depending on the time of day (it's nearly 2 degrees lower in the early morning than in the late afternoon or early evening), how much food she has eaten, how much sleep she's gotten, or whether she has a fast or slow metabolism. The range of typical temps for a kid is between 96 and 100.2 degrees Fahrenheit (or 36 to 38 degrees centigrade).
  • A normal temperature measured by mouth is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit (37 degrees Celsius) and can be between 97 degrees Fahrenheit to 99 degrees Fahrenheit (36.1 degrees Celsius to 37.2 degrees Celsius). This is because different people have different "normal" body temperatures. It is normal for your child to have a slightly higher temperature at night than he did in the morning.
How can I keep my child healthy at school during the winter?