Question

Kidney Stones

Can my diet help me prevent kidney stones?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    1 089 06 EatTheClock
    Foods high in oxalates, such as spinach, can cause kidney stones, but what should you eat to prevent them?

Watch the video to learn which foods you should eat to prevent kidney stones, from Dr. Oz.

• AGregory Jack, MD, Urology, answered on behalf of UCLA Health
    Every doctor you see will give you different dietary advice about how to prevent kidney stones. Indeed, every person you see on the street is going to give you different dietary advice.

As a general rule: fluids, fluids and more fluids. Water with a little lemon juice is probably the best. Four to six cups of water a day is not enough; if you have kidney stones, you need to drink minimum three liters of fluids per day.

The easiest diet advice is make sure the colors on your plate are plentiful and that every food group is represented. We advise a balanced, high fiber, low salt diet. Meats are okay in moderation, and red meat is no better or worse than fish or chicken in terms of kidney stones… as long as it’s in moderation. Vegetables are great and very important, including green leafy vegetables in most cases. 

A low-sodium diet is very important. As sodium goes through your urine, it brings the calcium through with it.
Can kidney stones be prevented?