Kidney cancers do not respond to chemotherapy or radiation therapy. Therefore, surgery is the primary method for cure. Traditionally, the entire kidney (open radical nephrectomy) had been done. The advances are, in order:
1. open partial nephrectomy - only the tumor is removed, if surgically appropriate
2. laparoscopic radical nephrectomy - removal of entire kidney using 4-5 key holes only - I specialize in this method
3. laparoscopic partial nephrectomy - removal of kidney tumor using 4-5 key holes only -I specialize in this method
4. robotic partial nephrectomy - removal of kidney tumor using 4-5 key holes and robot assistance. I specialize in this method
5. single port surgery - using just a single incision hidden in the belly button to remove the kidney. Improved scar appearance and quicker recovery - I specialize in this method
The surgical method should be chosen after careful discussion of the risks and benefits of each, and whether your tumor is appropriate for this approach, and whether your surgeon is facile and has strong experience in the method you would prefer.