Question

Insulin

How should I throw away used insulin needles?

• Collect used insulin needles in an old milk jug or liquid laundry detergent bottle until you can dispose of them safely. You can also look for a clipper that snips the needle off so you can safely throw the rest of the syringe away.

Check your county's hazardous waste policy for the proper way of disposing used needles.
  • Throw away used insulin needles. There are a couple of ways to do this:
    • Use a needle clipper to snip the needle off the syringe. The clipper safely stores the used needle, and you can throw away the rest of the syringe in the trash.
    • Throw away the whole syringe in a heavy container that the needles won't poke through -- like an empty coffee can or a plastic bleach container. Or, if local or state law requires it, use a special disposal container and keep it separate from the rest of your household garbage.
    Contact your garbage hauler, local government solid waste department, or public health department to get the disposal containers and service information for packaging and collection in your area.
What size insulin syringe should I buy?