A Answers (3)
Stacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answeredYou can prevent infection by washing your wound carefully with soap, water and rubbing alcohol. An antibiotic ointment can help to prevent infection and promote healing. Signs of infection include: redness spreading from the wound site, increasing pain, drainage, warmth, swelling and a bad odor from the sore. If you experience any signs of infection, you should try to clean your wound and contact your doctor.
Stuart Linder, MD, Plastic Surgery, answeredOne can prevent their wound from becoming infected by proper cleaning of the wound with either sterilie water and/or hydrogen peroxide twice a day. Antibiotic ointments and creams may also be useful. For larger painful wounds, consider seeking the attention of a qualified physician experienced with wound care and management. Some patients may require either oral or intravenous antibiotics.
Francis Downey, MD, Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular), answered on behalf of Aurora Health Care
The following are guidelines to help prevent a wound infection:
1. Use good hand-washing techniques before and after contact with your wound to help prevent the spread of infection. Here are the steps to follow:
Hand-washing with soap and water:
- Wet hands with warm water and apply soap.
- Rub well over all surfaces for at least 15 seconds.
- Rinse well under water.
- Dry hands with clean towels.
- Turn off the faucet with clean towels to prevent reinfecting hands.
Hand-washing with a waterless alcohol-based product or gel:
- Apply approximately a nickel-sized amount of product to palm of hand.
- Rub hands together, covering all surfaces including nails, until product evaporates, about 10 to 15 seconds.
2. Use clean latex or vinyl gloves if cleaning or touching the wound surface.
3. Keep nails short and remove nail polish. Long nails or polish can harbor bacteria.
4. Keep jewelry clean or remove it during wound care.
5. Use hypoallergenic lotions with antibacterial agents on skin surrounding the wound to maintain moisture and prevent irritation.