1) Achieve an ideal body weight
2) Clomiphene citrate treatment -- this oral medicine typically triggers ovulation
3) Metformin -- this oral diabetes medication often triggers ovulation in women with PCOS
4) Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) injections -- this injectable fertility medicine is very expensive and may result in twins or triplet pregnancy
5) Laparoscopic surgical treatment of the multiple ovarian cysts
6) In vitro fertilization (IVF)
Almost all women with PCOS and anovulatory infertility will become pregnant with one of the above treatments. Many women with PCOS will conceive naturally, especially if they optimize their health prior to attempting conception. This includes achieving an ideal body weight.