Question

Infectious Disease

Should I give my child medicine for a fever?

• ANicole Nelson, MD, Emergency Medicine, answered on behalf of Riverside Emergency and Trauma Center
    Fever medications should not be given to infants under 3 months old unless directed by a physician. For older babies and children, if they are uncomfortable, fever can be treated with ibuprofen and/or acetaminophen. A fever will not harm your child and there are actually some studies that suggest it may help to fight infection.
  • ATanya Remer Altmann, MD, Pediatrics, answered

Check with your pediatrician before giving your newborn any fever-reducing medication. And again, if your baby is younger than 3 months and has a fever, always call your doctor immediately or go to the emergency department.

Remember that a fever is just a sign that your child’s body is fighting an infection. The reason your doctor may recommend medicine to reduce a fever is so that your child may feel more comfortable (and therefore you will as well). When your child feels better, she will drink fluids (Popsicles work too) to help avoid dehydration that can occur with a fever. If she’s acting well and drinking fluids, you don’t have to give medicine because the fever itself isn’t dangerous and will more than likely go away by itself.

When should I call the doctor if my child has a fever?