Despite the terrifying implications of a pandemic or epidemic circulating through your community, you can protect yourself to a degree. Below are five simple action steps that you can take to increase your chance of survival:
- Take Andrographis: Studies indicate that this herbal remedy keeps your immune system strong. Try it as a supplement or extract as soon as symptoms start. Take 400 mg, three times a day. Although this is not a cure-all, it can help with the common cold and flu.
- Get a Flu Shot: Get your annual flu vaccine. You can obtain a flu shot at your local pharmacy, doctor's office or walk-in clinic.
- Observe Good Hygiene: Make sure you wash your hands for at least 25 seconds. Sing "Happy Birthday" twice while washing your hands under warm water to ensure you're taking enough time to kill bacteria.
- Stay Home: If you're ill, stay in your house and away from your family members for 3-6 days. If you're coughing or sneezing, it means you're contagious and should isolate yourself. Research has shown that you can still spread a virus even when you're not feverish. Be conscientious of your symptoms and stay home until you are well.
- Use Surgical Masks: Research has indicated that the best approach to illness prevention is combining masks with good hygiene. Although wearing a mask will not guard against all pathogens, it will stop you from touching your nose and face, a common way to inoculate yourself. At only 15 cents a piece, a mask is an inexpensive way to protect both yourself and those around you.