Here are some general recovery guidelines for implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) surgery. Your doctor may give you additional instructions.
- No raising your arm above shoulder level for four to six weeks.
- No driving a car until cleared by the doctor (for your safety and the safety of others)
- No lifting more than 5 to 10 pounds for six to eight weeks.
- No running or contact sports until cleared by the doctor.
- Avoid pushing or pulling activities with the affected arm for six to eight weeks (e.g., raking, lawn mowing, vacuuming, shoveling).
- Avoid baths for three to four weeks. You may shower and wash the incision with soap and water, then dry it well.
- Resume sexual activity as tolerated.