Question

Implantable Medical Devices For The Heart

What should I do if I get a shock from my ICD?

• AMohamed Djelmami-Hani, MD, Cardiac Electrophysiology, answered on behalf of Aurora Health Care

If you receive three or more shocks from your implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) in a short period of time or you do not feel well, call 9-1-1 and be prepared to go to the hospital. Your electrophysiologist then should be notified once you are in the emergency room.

• AIndrajit Choudhuri, MD, Cardiology, answered on behalf of Aurora Health Care
    If you receive a shock from your implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD), here is what you should do:
    Stay calm. If you feel fine, call your electrophysiologist (EP) or clinic. During
           off-hours, calls will be forwarded to an answering service that
           will page the on-call physician for you. Please be sure to call
           whenever you think you have been shocked. If you are not feeling well (for example, you continue to feel chest
           pain or dizziness), call a rescue squad and be prepared to be
           taken to the emergency room. If you receive three or more shocks in a row, call the rescue squad
           and be prepared to go to the hospital. If you live in a rural area, you may want to visit your local emergency
           room or rescue squad. Tell them about your ICD.
Why does my implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) have a pacemaker?