- Arrange for time off work. You can return to work when your doctor says it’s okay, usually after a week or so.
- Tell your doctor about medications and allergies. Along with prescription medications, include over-the-counter drugs, herbs, and vitamins.
- Follow your doctor’s directions about medications. You may be asked to stop taking certain blood thinners before the procedure.
- Arrange for a ride. Ask someone to drive you to and from the hospital.
- Fast for 6 to 8 hours before the procedure. If the procedure is in the morning, don’t eat or drink anything after midnight the night before.
A Answers (1)
Intermountain Registered Dietitians, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Intermountain HealthcareThere are several things you can do to get ready for the implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) procedure and make it go more smoothly: