Question

Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

Will my sense of taste go back to normal once I stop smoking?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Taste buds are sensitive little structures, but they are apparently resilient too. Smokers who kick the habit often report a welcome change: food tastes better. Not only do your taste buds work better, but your sense of smell improves too. That's important, since the aroma of food contributes a lot to the pleasures of eating.

If you smoke, you may not even be aware that your sense of taste has diminished. If you quit, plan on being pleasantly surprised as you rediscover what you've been missing.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered
    Assuming you do not have to have your tongue or throat cut out because you have cancer of these organs, your taste and smell sensation will go back to normal once you stop smoking. In fact that is one of the problems because food will all of a sudden taste sensuous-it is one of the reasons why sex gets better when you quit.
  • Yes. Shortly after stopping smoking your body will improve its circulation and thus repair some of the damage that the cigarette smoke has caused. This includes taste and smell.
  • AIvan Hernandez, MD, Psychiatry, answered on behalf of Bayview Center for Mental Health, Inc.

Most of the damage from diseases caused by smoking will improve after quitting. Having a dental checkup to determine if you have any smoke-induced oral diseases will enable your dental health professional to assess your present state of dental health and provide treatment options.

Will my sense of smell go back to normal once I stop smoking?