Question

Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

Can I reverse the aging process caused by smoking?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Smoking accelerates aging by damaging cells throughout the body, making you vulnerable to a number of life-threatening diseases. The good news, though, is that if you quit smoking, your body will begin to repair and reverse the damage immediately.

Consider this: Within 20 minutes of your last cigarette, your heart rate and blood pressure will drop, according to the American Cancer Society. Within a few weeks, your blood circulation may improve. A month after you stamp out that last cigarette butt, you may notice that you cough less and don't become winded so easily, making you feel more youthful and energetic.

Your health will continue to improve in the months and years that follow if you avoid tobacco. Importantly, your risk for heart disease, lung cancer, and other cancers that can cut life short will plummet.
  • AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered

Yes. When you quit smoking you reverse the arterial damage caused by smoking and you start to reverse the immune damage caused by smoking. Some of the damage such as that is structurally to the lung that leads to emphysema was just started by smoking and carried on by your inflammatory system. That is not reversible and so is heart damage you have already suffered but many of the things caused by smoking are reversible.

In this video, Michael Roizen, MD, chief wellness officer for the Cleveland Clinic, explains how.

• ABurke Lennihan RN CCH, Alternative & Complementary Medicine, answered

The worst aging process of smoking – the most deadly one – is the buildup of tar in your lungs, and fortunately that tends to clear gradually on its own. However, you can speed up the process with a lung detoxification set like Smokers’ Cleanse by Renew Life.

But I bet you were talking about wrinkles, and yes, there are things you can do to reduce the wrinkles caused by smoking (because it damages the collagen fibers in the skin). Here are some things you can try:

Face creams with hyaluronic acid (be sure to get a reputable brand so that it will have a significant amount of hyaluronic acid in it)

The cell salt Calcarea fluorica 6x, which helps to strengthen any elastic (stretchy) tissue in the body

In my health food store, the favorite anti-wrinkle product was Borlind of Germany LL Regeneration Eye Wrinkle Cream. (I do not sell any of these products and do not have any financial connection with any products I recommend.)

• AIvan Hernandez, MD, Psychiatry, answered on behalf of Bayview Center for Mental Health, Inc.

Quitting smoking as part of adopting a healthier lifestyle that includes increasing your level of physical activity and employing healthy eating strategies will help.

• There has not been any treatment shown to reverse the natural aging process. Quitting smoking, however, while not able to reverse the damage, can certainly slow down the process. There has been some good data on a trial by researchers at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Harvard Medical School that turned weak and feeble old mice into healthy animals by regenerating their aged bodies. This is still in a trial phase, however, and cannot be used in humans.
Does smoking have any affect on my immune system?