Question

Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

How does smoking affect my asthma?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Think of the smoke as a wrestler who puts your already-constricted airways in a chokehold. Asthma is a chronic disease of the airways. Your airways are more reactive and can sometimes constrict, making it difficult to breathe.

Studies have found that smoking can worsen your asthma, which means you could have more asthma attacks each day and more episodes of abnormal breathing. You may even have a higher risk of being hospitalized for your asthma. So if you have asthma, tap out and ask your doctor about quitting. You'll also want to avoid secondhand smoke, which can also irritate you're already sensitive airways.
  • AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered

Smoking will add particles and inflammation to your lung which often worsens asthma and definitely worsens asthma symptoms.

• AJoseph I Miller III, Cardiology, answered on behalf of Piedmont Heart Institute
    Asthma causes irritation and inflammation of the airways which makes the airways more reactive. The inflamed airways are then more reactive to the asthma triggers-whether it is cold weather, mold, exercise, or pet dander.
  • ABrian Gelbman, MD, Pulmonary & Respiratory Medicine, answered
    How does smoking affect my asthma?

Smoking is very harmful for asthma; those with chronic airway inflammation from asthma who smoke will experience more severe symptoms. Watch pulmonologist Brian Gelbman, MD, discuss how asthma patients who smoke are also at risk for developing COPD.

• AIvan Hernandez, MD, Psychiatry, answered on behalf of Bayview Center for Mental Health, Inc.

Cigarette smoke causes irritation of the airways in the lung, which can trigger asthma attacks. The irritation leads to inflammation, which counteracts the effect of asthma medications prescribed to reduce the inflammation of those same airways.

• ARobert S Kaufmann, Internal Medicine, answered
    Smoke in your lungs causes bronchospasms.  Asthma is a bronchospasm type process so if you continue to smoke and have asthma what is going to happen is you are going to increase the incidents of bronchospasm which causes asthma exacerbation. Asthma is a problem breathing out and tobacco causes bronchospasm which affects the bronchioles.
How much does smoking affect my allergies?