Immune System

What kind of doctor should I see for my myasthenia gravis symptoms?

A Answers (2)

  • First, talk to your family doctor about your muscle weakness symptoms. Depending on the severity, you may be told to see a neurologist. A neurologist can run some diagnostic tests on you and determine if you have myasthenia gravis. A neurologist can also discuss treatment options with you that may help relieve your symptoms.

  • ADarshan Shah, MD, Neurology, answered on behalf of NorthShore University HealthSystem
    As Myasthenia Gravis (MG) is an autoimmune condition which affects a part of the nervous system (specifically the neuromuscular junction), you should establish care with a neurologist for appropriate diagnosis and treatment.  MG can also cause double vision and difficulty breathing and so the neurologist may also refer you to a neuro-opthalmologist and pulmonologist (lung doctor).
Did You See?  Close
Can I still have children if I have myasthenia gravis?