Question

Immune System

Are there natural remedies I can use to boost my immune system?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    If you find yourself run down, you need to boost your immunity, the body's best line of defense against infection and disease. To help ward off infection, especially during flu season, try a Himalayan salt inhaler. This ancient remedy, a ceramic container filled with Himalayan salt crystals, is used as an inhaler to calm and cleanse your airways. The salt draws soothing moisture into your mucus membranes, making them better able to clear irritants. Use for 15 minutes a day. Costs about $30 online.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered

Keeping your immune system strong is one of the most important things you can do to stay healthy. A great supplement to help support your immune system is larch arabinogalactan, a plant-based carbohydrate shown to have immune-enhancing properties when consumed in the diet. A double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial that included 204 healthy adults found that those taking larch arabinogalactan supplements were 57% more likely to stay healthy than non-users. The health measurement looked at the impact on the non-inflammatory, IgG adaptive immune response, when exposed to an immune challenge. 

• ADavid Hoffmann, Integrative Medicine, answered

There are many natural and herbal remedies that can have an impact on the immune system and several ways that boosting the immune system can be approached. The immune system must be looked at in the context of the whole body, so in addition to herbs that help fight infection and viruses it is important to look at herbs that help general detoxification and digestion. While the immune system is often thought of as red and white blood cells and infection-fighting antibodies within the cells, over 70% of the immune system is in the digestive system. This is why regular bowel movements and a diet that is low in saturated fats and high in lean proteins and fiber is incredibly important not just for digestion but to support the immune system. 

There are three different categories of herbs that can help boost the immune system.

1. Deep immune activation: These plants strengthen the tissues in which the immune system “lives.” Herbs such as astragalus, Reishi mushroom and Shiitake mushroom will support deep immune activation, as will bitter herbs such as dandelion and burdock.
    2. Surface immune activation: These are the many plants that have both anti-viral and anti-bacterial action typically known as “immune system boosters.” These include plants such as garlic and Echinacea.
    3. Adaptogens or hormonal modulators: These herbs work through the endocrine system and the adrenal glands – the two sites in the body that can be most run down by stress causing the immune system to be more susceptible to pathogens. Siberian ginseng (or Eleutherococcus) and Korean (or Panax) Ginseng are adaptogenic herbs that can help build and strengthen the adrenal glands and therefore ”boost” the immune system.
  • AMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc, Gerontology, answered
    Here are some strategies for a stronger immune system:
    1. Keep stress low by practicing meditation, tai chi or yoga.
    2. Maintain a positive and uplifting attitude.
    3. Eat lots of garlic, ginger, cilantro, and oregano.
  • AStephen Atkins, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    Dr. Stephen Atkins - Are there natural remedies I can use to boost my immune system?

One way to boost your immune system is to increase your intake of certain vitamins. Learn which vitamins you should take when your immune system needs some perking up by watching this video featuring integrative medicine specialist Dr. Stephen Atkins.

• AChris Kilham, Alternative/complementary Medicine, answered
    Chris Kilham - Are there natural remedies I can use to boost my immune system?

There's no shortage of foods and herbs that help to boost the immune system. "Medicine Hunter" and author Chris Kilham talks in this video about the antioxidant-rich foods and other options that'll help you stay healthy and happy.

• ALindsey Duncan, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    Dr. Lindsey Duncan - Are there natural remedies I can use to boost my immune system?

Watch as naturopathic expert Dr. Lindsey Duncan reveals some natural remedies to boost your immune system.

• APina LoGiudice, LAc, ND, Naturopathic Medicine, answered
    Dr. Pina LoGiudice - Are there natural remedies I can use to boost my immune system?
    Watch as Naturopathic Doctor and Licensed Acupuncturist Pina LoGiudice discusses alternative, natural remedies that can boost your immune system.

• ARandy Rosenthal, DC, Chiropractic, answered
    Chiropractic care can help boost the immune system to help fight off infections. When nerve flow is disrupted or interefered with, our body starts to shut down due to this improper flow. Spinal abnormalities can cause compression of our nerves resulting in disrupted nerve flow. A Chiropractor can manipulate the areas of the spine that is causing a blockage of flow which will help relieve any issue and increase immune response.  An immune response takes place, when the brain and the immune system "speaks to one another", which is crucial for proper equilibrium throughout the body. When the immune system is not functioning at 100% capacity, our body becomes shieldless from bacteria, viruses and other illnesses.

A Chiropractic manipulation can go along way to help boost the immune system. A manipulation will help restore the balance of the nervous system and the flow of energy and information throughout the body.
Why is sleep so important to the immune system?