- Good hygiene is important. Keep the skin clean and dry. Use gentle soaps and lotions to prevent skin dryness and irritation. Try to avoid soaps and lotions with perfumes. These contain alcohol and can be very drying to the skin. Some good choices for soaps are Dove, Neutrogena, Aveeno, Basis, and Oil of Olay. Use a moisturizing lotion if you have dry skin.
- Take precautions to avoid cutting or puncturing the skin of the affected arm. This may allow bacteria to get into the skin, which may lead to infection.
- Avoid having injections or blood drawn in the affected arm.
- Wear gloves while doing housework, gardening, or other types of work that may cause cuts, scrapes, or punctures.
- Use an electric shaver instead of a safety razor. This will help avoid accidentally cutting the skin.
- Keep cuticles neat using lotions, rather than cutting them.
A Answers (1)
Aurora Health Care answeredBreast lymphedema is a problem that may occur after surgery and treatment of breast cancer. It is the swelling of the arm, armpit, breast, or chest wall, on the side where the breast surgery was done. Infection of the arm, chest, or breast on the side where surgery was done, may trigger the onset of lymphedema. The following suggestions will help prevent infection: