Question

Immune System

How does garlic help support my immune system?

• ARealAge answered

Garlic enhances immune response in cells in the laboratory. At low-to-moderate doses, one of the compounds formed when garlic is heated, diallyl trisulfide, appears to make certain cells of the immune system more active against cancer cells.

Similar results were obtained by another study, which conclude that extracts from aged garlic are powerful enhancers of immune response. This activation may also contribute to the ability of garlic to fight infections.

• Referred to by some as Russian penicillin, garlic and its protective properties were once regarded as the domain of folk remedies. But research indicates that garlic has sulfur-containing antibacterial compounds, which fight infection by clearing away toxins and germs. In addition, garlic consumption seems to enhance the activity of white blood cells and T-helper cells, which are integral to a robust immune response. Other sulfur sources include egg yolks, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, watercress, radishes, leeks and onions.

How do red bell peppers help support my immune system?