Question

Hypothyroidism

What can I do to manage my hypothyroidism?

• AHealthwise answered

If you have hypothyroidism, see your doctor once a year so your condition can be closely checked and your treatment adjusted, if needed.

Be sure to take thyroid hormone medicine correctly. Talk with your doctor if you don't understand the reason for taking medicine regularly or if you think you have any side effects from the medicine. You usually need to have regular blood tests to find out whether you are receiving the correct amount of thyroid hormone.

Children who have hypothyroidism also need to see a doctor regularly because the amount of thyroid hormone medicine they need changes as they grow. Untreated hypothyroidism in infants and very young children can have severe consequences. As soon as you think your child is able to understand (usually around age 9 or 10), teach him or her about hypothyroidism, the importance of taking medicine correctly and why regular health checkups are important.

Some health food stores in the United States sell "natural" forms of thyroid hormone. The quality and effectiveness of these natural agents are unregulated. Some may not work at all. Others may have an active ingredient that does work but that may be dangerous to certain people.

© Healthwise, Incorporated.

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
Should a person with hypothyroidism exercise?