Metabolism refers to all the physical and chemical processes in the body that convert or use energy, such as:
- Circulating blood
- Controlling body temperature
- Contracting muscles
- Digesting food and nutrients
- Eliminating waste through urine and feces
- Functioning of the brain and nerves
Daily exercise and eating smaller meals 4 to 6 times a day keeps the metabolic furnace burning. It has also been shown that certain foods increase metabolism.
- Food is the Fuel: Increasing physical activity and cutting down on calories are two sure ways to stimulate weight loss. The third way is to add certain foods to your diet that can boost your metabolism.
- Plus Foods: Some special foods not only will help improve your metabolism, but also have other benefits, such as containing antioxidants for disease protection. These are grapefruit, oranges, tomatoes, blueberries and yogurt.
- Spicy Hot: Spicy hot foods have the ability to increase your metabolism by almost 50 percent for the 3 hours immediately following consumption. So try adding a bit of curry, a jalapeno pepper or some other hot spicy food to your diet.
- Protein: Your body burns more calories to process protein than it does to process carbohydrates or fat. So increase the amount of lean protein you eat and cut down on the carbohydrates; enjoy the meat and salad but limit the potato.
These are just a few suggestions. Now go fire up the furnace and remember to stay consistent in your exercise regimen and making healthy choices for your diet.