Question

Homeopathy

Is there a natural remedy for coughs?

• ADarria Long Gillespie, MD, Emergency Medicine, answered
    Is there a natural remedy for coughs?
    Honey is a soothing, natural remedy for a hacking cough and a sore throat. Watch as I explain how you can make your own at-home cough syrup using honey, cayenne pepper and apple cider vinegar.
  • ABurke Lennihan RN CCH, Alternative/complementary Medicine, answered

Lots! Elderberry syrup is a great place to start, especially if you can find it in a honey base, since both elderberry and honey have antimicrobial properties. Kids love the taste. Sambucol is a well-known brand, although it’s not in honey. My local health food store has Apitherapy Elderberry syrup, which is ideal for me – it’s made with local honey.

There are so many natural remedies for coughs; it’s hard to know where to start. If it hurts to cough – if you find yourself holding your chest to keep from coughing, and you have a dry cough – Bryonia is likely to help.

If your child coughs as soon as she lies down in bed, a croupy cough, Drosera is a good place to start.

If you feel, or hear in your child, mucus rattling in the middle of the chest behind the breastbone, Hepar sulph is a good bet, while Antimonium tart is a better bet if the mucus is way down in the bottom of the lungs and hard to get up.

Honestly, there are so many good remedies for coughs, it can be hard to tell which one is best for you. You might try a formula which combines several of the top natural cough remedies, like B&T Cough Syrup, Boiron Chestal, or Hyland’s Cough Syrup.

• ADonnica Moore, MD, Obstetrics & Gynecology, answered
    Dr. Donnica Moore - Is there a natural remedy for coughs?

A newly discovered remedy for coughs is also a favorite sweet treat, says women's health expert Dr. Donnica Moore. Find out what it is and why it works by watching this video.

What is the benefit of therapeutic mud baths?