Question

Hypertension

Besides taking medication, what can I do to control my high blood pressure?

• You can maintain healthy blood pressure through changing your lifestyle or by combining lifestyle changes with prescribed medications.

Key lifestyle changes include the following:
    Have your blood pressure checked regularly. Maintain a normal body weight (body mass index of 18.5-24.9,
          which is kilograms divided by height in meters squared). Keep up physical activity (2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate-
          intensity aerobic activity such as brisk walking) every week
          and muscle-strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week
          that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen,
          chest, shoulders, and arms). Follow a diet rich in fruits and vegetables and low in sodium. Quit smoking. If you drink alcoholic beverages, do so in moderation (≤ 2 drinks
          per day for men and ≤ 1 drinks per day for women). If you have high blood pressure and are prescribed medication(s),
          take them as directed.

The presence of the CDC logo and CDC content on this page should not be construed to imply endorsement by the US Government of any commercial products or services, or to replace the advice of a medical professional. The mark “CDC” is licensed under authority of the PHS.

Why do fruits and vegetables help lower blood pressure?