Even if you have had a prior stroke or heart attack, controlling high blood pressure can help prevent another one. Take these steps:
• Lose weight if you’re overweight.
• Eat a healthy diet that’s low in salt, saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol.
• Eat fruits and vegetables, and fat-free or low-fat dairy products.
• Enjoy regular physical activity.
• Limit alcohol to no more than two drinks a day if you’re a man and one drink a day if you’re a woman. Check with your doctor about drinking alcohol; it can raise blood pressure.
• Take medicine as prescribed.
• Know what your blood pressure should be and try to keep it at that level.