Question

Hypertension

Why is my blood pressure still high when I take medication for it?

• AEdtrina Moss, Ambulatory Care Nursing, answered on behalf of Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)

There is a great deal more to managing high blood pressure than just taking medication! You must actively participate in managing your high blood pressure with your health care provider. You must measure your blood pressure regularly, at least twice a day. Ideally, you would measure it when you awake and before bedtime. Doing so will help your provider identify specific trends in your blood pressure based on your "regular" daily activities. You must keep a journal of all your readings and take them to every appointment.

You must engage in at least 30 minutes of aerobic activity three to five times per week. Speak to your healthcare professional to create an exercise plan specific to your needs.

You must commit to a lifestyle of healthy eating. This includes a diet that is low in saturated fats, calories, and cholesterol. Enlisting a dietician or nutritionist on your healthcare team is a great start!

Lastly, you must take your medication as prescribed. Create reminders so that you don't miss dosages. If you experience unwanted side effects, tell your healthcare provider immediately. The best way to know if a prescribed blood pressure medication works for you is to take it as prescribed and measure your blood pressure regularly. If you are doing these things and your blood pressure is still elevated, your healthcare provider can prescribe a different or a combination of medications that may work better.

Medication for high blood pressure is a treatment, not a cure. If you are committed to including these activities, you can expect to see improvements in your blood pressure and overall health. Remember, you are the center of your healthcare team and you must be actively involved in managing your blood pressure and your health!

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
Would high sodium intake cause my BP to go up?