Question

High Blood Pressure Treatment

When should I take my blood pressure medication?

• AOzgen Dogan, Cardiology, answered
    It's more effective to take high blood pressure medication in the morning as soon as you get up. During this part of the day the body starts to secrete hormones that increase blood pressure. This is the body's way of getting ready for a new day. It's no coincidence that most heart attacks happen early in the morning. If you're on a diuretic for your high blood pressure, it's always better to take it in the morning rather than at night so you're not up frequently going to the bathroom.
  • AEdtrina Moss, Ambulatory Care Nursing, answered on behalf of Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)

Blood pressure medication should be taken as prescribed by your healthcare provider. You must discuss any concerns regarding side effects with your provider before you stop your medication regimen. If you forget to take your medication, take it as soon as you remember. However, you must not "double up" your dose. If it is too close to the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume the regular schedule with the dose that is due.

It is recommended that you use reminders for medication administration. Also, take your medication at the same time every day. Always keep a list of each medication and share the list with your provider at each visit.

Do not stop taking your medicine even though you 'feel better.' High blood pressure or hypertension is known as the "silent killer." When it is unmanaged, it can cause irreversible damage to vital organs.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What should I do if blood pressure medicine burns my stomach?