Diet restrictions can be an alternative treatment option for managing your hiatal hernia symptoms. Changes to diet may include:
- replacing large meals with smaller meals throughout the day
- avoiding spicy, fatty, and acid foods
- avoiding or limiting chocolate and onions
- avoiding or limiting alcohol beverages
- avoiding or limiting acidic drinks (orange juice, soda, coffee)
Avoiding lying down after you eat and elevating the head of your bed several inches can also help with symptoms. Quitting smoking and maintaining a healthy weight are healthy lifestyle choices that do help manage acid reflux symptoms. Exercising regularly is another healthy way to help treat and manage mild hiatal hernia symptoms. Talking to your doctor about alternative treatment options is an important way to manage symptoms; however, only surgery can cure a hernia.