Question

Herbal Supplements

What are the health benefits of holy basil?

• ATim Ferriss, Fitness, answered

Wouldn't it be nice to have an easy, non-medical remedy for fatigue and low energy? In this video, fitness expert and author Tim Ferriss talks about how to use the herb holy basil to give energy levels an easy, aromatic boost.

• AChris Kilham, Alternative/complementary Medicine, answered
    Holy basil is a powerful antioxidant with demonstrated antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties. In Ayurvedic medicine, holy basil has been used to treat a variety of conditions -- everything from the common cold to bronchitis to fever to certain digestive complaints, including ulcers.

Although many of these treatments are still unproven by conventional testing, modern science is now taking a closer look at this fascinating herb. In the past decade, a number of scientific studies have focused on the effects of holy basil. Some investigations have shown great promise -- suggesting holy basil may indeed prove effective in those customary uses. But science has even looked beyond the traditional scope, studying the herb for its therapeutic potential in cancer, specifically as an adjuvant to radiation therapy, and even for its stabilizing effects in diabetes.

The most compelling data, however, suggests that holy basil possesses its greatest potential in the areas of stress relief and relaxation. And in the fast-paced world in which we live, these findings may prove to be extremely significant.
Can I take holy basil if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?