Question

Herbal Supplements

If I take beta-glucan, how much should I take?

• Adults (18 years and older):

Beta-glucan has been taken by mouth for a variety of conditions. Cereals containing beta-glucan or concentrates containing fiber (typically 8-15 grams of beta-glucan) are the most common forms. For hyperlipidemia, 3-16 grams of beta-glucan daily have been studied and found moderately effective in reducing total and LDL ("bad" cholesterol) levels. For high blood pressure, 5.52 grams of beta-glucan daily have been studied. For cardiovascular disease, 4 servings daily of two dietary fibers, beta-glucan (0.75 grams per serving) and psyllium (1.78 grams per serving), have been studied. For diabetes, 50-90 grams carbohydrate portions of barley grain with meals have been studied for up to 12 weeks. Higher amounts of fiber and beta-glucan may result in a stronger effect. In addition, 10 grams of a barley beta-glucan fiber supplement (Cerogen®) that contained 6.31 grams of beta-glucan has been added to foods and drinks. For breast cancer, patients have taken 1-3, 1-6, D-beta glucan daily for 15 days. For heart protection during coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), 700 milligrams or 1,400 milligrams of beta-1,3/1,6-glucan has been taken for five days in a row before surgery.

Beta-glucan has also been applied to burns on the skin as a collagen matrix for 24 hours.

Injections of beta-glucan forms have also been studied, and these should only be given under the guidance of a qualified healthcare professional, including a pharmacist.

You should read product labels, and discuss all therapies with a qualified healthcare provider. Natural Standard information does not constitute medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

Copyright © 2012 by Natural Standard Research Collaboration. All Rights Reserved.

What is beta-glucan used for?