Question

Hepatitis

How can I protect myself from hepatitis?

• There are several vaccines available, which you can use, to protect yourself from hepatitis A and B. You can also protect yourself and others from hepatitis A by washing your hands after using the toilet and before fixing or eating food.

You can protect yourself from hepatitis B by using a condom when you have sex, not sharing drug needles with anyone, and not sharing a toothbrush or razor with anyone who might be infected.

No vaccine exists for hepatitis C. You can protect yourself from hepatitis C by wearing gloves if you have to touch someone's blood, not sharing drug needles, and not sharing a toothbrush or razor with anyone who might be infected.

The answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

• Hepatitis, or inflammation of the liver, is caused by a variety of reasons, including infection, drugs or chemicals, or autoimmune disease. As a result, the best ways to protect yourself from hepatitis are to avoid unsafe behaviors such as unprotected sex with partners whose histories are not known, sharing needles or injecting illicit drugs, or exposing yourself to or sharing bodily fluids. Tattoo equipment can also spread hepatitis virus, so tattoos should be obtained only from parlors that practice sterile techniques. One form of hepatitis is spread via the fecal-oral route, so handwashing and clean cooking practices will help protect you from that form.
How is hepatitis treated?