Question

Heart Surgeries

How long will I be in the hospital when I have TAVR?

• AHoward C. Herrmann, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered on behalf of Penn Medicine

Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) is performed under general anesthesia, and the procedure usually takes 3 to 4 hours. You will remain in ICU until your doctor feels you can be transferred to a regular hospital room, where you will continue to be monitored. A physical therapist will evaluate you and help you start moving as soon as possible. The average ICU time is 1 day, and the average entire hospital stay for the procedure is 4 to 7 days.

• AWilliam Suh, MD, Internal Medicine, answered on behalf of UCLA Health
    Typically, people stay in the hospital for three to five days after a transfemoral transcatheter valve replacement (TAVR) procedure. For a transapical procedure, they usually stay a bit longer -- around five to seven days. People sometimes have to go to rehab to get a little bit stronger, so they may be referred to cardiac rehab just to get them back on their feet.

What should I expect after transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)?