Question

Heart Surgeries

How long does a heart surgery take?

• The length of time for the surgery depends on the type of surgery. CABG, the most common type of heart surgery, usually takes 3 to 5 hours.

This answer from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute has been reviewed and/or edited by Dr. William D. Knopf.

• The operation itself usually takes three to five hours, but preparation for surgery, administration of anesthesia, and preparation for the transfer to the Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit, or CTICU, extends the time in the operating room to four to six hours. In the operating room, time is required to insert intravenous lines and set up other equipment to monitor bodily functions and keep them functioning smoothly during surgery.
  • ACathy Provins-Churbock, PhD, Critical Care Medicine, answered
    The time it takes for heart surgery varies with what procedures are being performed.  It may be as short as 3 hours for a minimally invasive procedure or over 10 hours for heart transplant.

I always encourage families to not "watch the clock." By nature of the hospital environment there are so many things that can occur that will prolong the time a patient is out of his room for surgery. Most of these things have nothing to do with how the patient is doing physically. Further, much of the time the patient is gone from his room for surgery is used for pre and post surgical care, not the surgery itself. Loved ones, understandably, get more and more upset as time goes by. It is good to remember that if there is a problem with your loved one his/her health care provider will inform you. 
  • APenn Medicine answered

A highly trained group of doctors and nurses work as a team to perform your surgery. Most operations take approximately four to six hours, but this varies depending on the complexity of the operation.

What do I need to do before a heart surgery?